Translate

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Facebook

I like when people have exciting news, and positive and uplifting insights to share on Facebook. I am uplifted myself after reading these comments.

I especially like all the nature photographs people share, and wish there were more in my daily scrolls down the feed.

I also like taking embarrassing pictures of my dad when he sleeps and posting them, since he refuses to learn how to use technology. He's a pretty good sport about it though, as long as I don't get his belly in the picture.

One particular FB friend shared some dreamy elephant pictures once. I love elephants. These pictures were so beautiful. I became fixated on one image for a long time, maybe ten or fifteen minutes, when I first saw it, just in awe of - maybe - I don't know, having had a glimpse of heaven. I'd love to go on an African safari someday and see elephants in the wild. I could watch them lumber around all day.

I read the book of Matthew today in the Message version of the bible. The Message is very plain and direct sounding, and I felt guilty of pretty much everything, but one verse shot out and got me right in the heart:

Matthew 6:25-26:

If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in the stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.

I also felt deeply convicted by Matthew 7:1-5, but it's too humbling to share those verses here. That's not what this blog is about. But it makes a good segue.

I feel that Facebook should be more of a prayer community and less of a gossip chain. I want to send positive vibes to people when I see them share about a struggle. I also have to admit, I want to see people struggle once in a while. Some Facebook users rarely, if ever, post anything. Well is your life perfect or is something too terrible to share happening? I don't know!

Even if you feel you have nothing particularly significant to say, say just that. "Nothing particularly significant to share today." If you don't want to say anything at all, share a song or a picture. You're on the computer killing time anyhow. Why not?

Some FB users are just the opposite. They clog up the news feed, albeit with many interesting things, but I don't have time to read it all and still catch up with my other friends' pics, video shares, funny jokes, good news, and life concerns. If Facebook put me in charge of the next design, I'd probably create a function that allows users to set a weekly/daily limit of post shares from each friend. I mean some people have like a thousand friends. Realistically, if we believe everybody is equally important in the big scheme of things, why make a habit of burying one guy's comment with five or ten of our own?  That may have been the only comment some user posted all day or all week. Certain friends I'd like to hear from more, end up sharing less, I believe, because when they notice others clogging up the feed, they know they're tiny concern or cute joke will probably just get buried, and they think, nah, it's not that important. Well, for what it's worth, it was important to me.

I'm going to try and post on FB just once or twice a day, three or four days per week. I think that's acceptable. And I vow to prayerfully consider all the struggles my friends share, and to celebrate with my friends in spirit when they share good news. Isn't it fun to share good news? Knowing others take part in your joy? Isn't that just awesome? Facebook has such potential. We could maybe even use Facebook to elect an Independent presidential candidate next election. Jesse Ventura maybe? I'd even vote for a kid if he ran. I digress.



No comments:

Post a Comment