Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Juice Fast Days 9-10

Day 9 was amazing. I experienced no energy crashes at work and kept on my feet for most of a 10 hour babysitting shift. The three little girls have all been calmer and nicer to me lately, so they must sense a difference in me too. Or maybe they're just as wild and I'm just more okay with it. It's hard to tell when I'm floating through the day, unaffected by any negative thing.

I'm floating here on day 10 as well. I don't work on Wednesdays, and my mother called this morning at 8:30 and awoke me from a nightmare. I dreamed the three-year-old I care for fell and bumped her head then sat up with changed eyes and Down's Syndrome. So I was happy to be awoken. My mom called to tell me she's mailing me a winter coat and then we chatted for an hour. Then when I got off the phone, I peeled back my covers and poked my nose down my sweatshirt and took a whiff, and I noticed a stench, and remembered I'd taken a break from wearing antiperspirant since Sunday, and promptly showered and deodorized. I don't like to wear the clinical stuff everyday because it would be very unhealthy to do so, and I have natural deodorant from my local health food store, but I find I still need to apply the clinical strength stuff every few days. Even Dr. Oz said you need the aluminum to kill the bacteria (as opposed to covering up the smell with deodorant alone). I was at a live taping of his show last winter when he talked about it. He had also mentioned there are drops you can put in your toilet that hold poop smells inside the water after the poop plops in. Neat.

After showering I went out and had two new front tires put on. They were expensive! Just Coopers, a mediocre brand and model, and All-Seasons, not special winter or studded tires, but they cost $105 each, with an extra $12 per tire for removal/mounting/balancing! The mechanic said it's because I have a size 16 tire, which is close to truck-sized.

I haven't been hungry or thirsty at all these past two days. Both days I had decaf organic green tea in the morning, then juiced apples, carrots, ginger, and lemon for a mid-morning breakfast. And both afternoons I had the glowing green smoothie (blended fresh spinach, romaine, parsley, and granny smith apple with coconut milk and a scoop of Boku). I also added some fresh mixed greens from Saturday's farmers market. Kimberly Snyder's actual "Glowing Green Smoothie" recipe says to mix with water, but I use coconut milk to accommodate my own personal tastes, and the addition of Boku is just to ensure extra nutrition. You could buy any green superfood powder at your local health food store and try it in various smoothie concoctions until you find something you can tolerate. I don't enjoy the taste of the glowing green smoothie, but its ability to taper hunger is uncanny. It's also highly nutritious. Fruit cleanses but vegetables deposit nutrition. And by blending greens, I get the roughage and fiber that my juicer discards.

I am loving a new product I just tried called "Fire Cider." It contains: apple cider vinegar, honey, orange, lemon, onion, horseradish root, ginger root, habanero pepper, garlic, and tumeric. All the ingredients are certified organic. It naturally cures colds and hangovers, but I've been sipping a shot glass of it everyday since Saturday just for the taste. The flavor is a mouth party and the spicy heated kick it gives my entire body is orgasmic. You can also use it in salad dressings, BBQ sauces, and bloody mary's. I already ordered four more bottles online from FireCider.com, after pricing it at my local health food store and finding they charge quite a bit more than the website. It has 10 calories/tbsp and no fat - just a wonderful blend of flavors. This kind of discovery makes healthy living really exciting.

Other healthy discoveries happen when I find something sinful I love to eat, in a vegan and gluten-free form. Restaurants and cafe's are popping up and jumping on the health nut wagon, so keep your eyes posted and search around on Google. Explore your local supermarket's gluten-free and organic snack food aisles, too. There's new stuff coming out every week.

You can even take it a step further and search websites that will deliver healthy versions of your favorite unhealthy foods for a few dollars more, and it's a very worthwhile investment once you find something you love. Or try making your own healthy meals from scratch. If you love pizza, King Arthur does make a gluten-free flour, and they have a recipe for gluten free pizza dough at www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pizza-crust-recipe

I'll elaborate on gluten another time, but in a nutshell I believe it's poison. Gluten is the Latin word for glue, and is found in lots of beauty care products, as well as in most breads, pastas, and cereals. Several million people in the U.S. alone have already been diagnosed with gluten intolerance ("Celiac Disease") but millions more haven't been diagnosed yet. Virtually anything you like that contains gluten, can also be purchased or made gluten-free. Let me suggest as an alternative to your favorite granola bars, try Larabars. They come in over 20 flavors and are naturally gluten-free and sold in most grocery stores. Rice Crispy cereal is one of several naturally gluten-free cereals, and there are hundreds of varieties of gluten free pastas and breads popping up on the internet and in grocery stores. Not to mention thousands of gluten free recipes for muffins and cakes and virtually anything you'd bake at home, at your fingertips with a Google search.

In other news, I'm off to a yoga class shortly and very much looking forward to it. Especially because I told a guy friend of mine that it was an easy class (it's actually very challenging) and I've been laughing mischievously to myself all day imagining him when he shows up and gets deep into some of the crazy twists and binds the Wednesday night teacher takes us into. The teacher's name is Lori, and I absolutely love all her classes, but when I first attended one of her classes about two years ago, I got very angry and was sore for a week (sorry Lori!) but she knows what she's doing, and I can't get enough of Yoga now. Last week she walked over and leaned her weight against my back as I was sitting on the floor and stretching forward, and my belly ended up touching the floor and it felt great. She said it was called "The Bone Crusher." She rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment