Translate

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Juice Fast Days 13-14

I must confess I ate some raw fruits and veggies around midnight on Day 12. I had carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, and pineapple chunks at a Potluck Halloween Party where luckily someone brought a fruit and veggie platter. I brought ten Wendy's burgers. I was dressed up as the Wendy's girl. My outfit came together real well and very last-minute, after trying unsuccessfully to dress up as Pippi Longstocking all afternoon. I just couldn't quite pull it off without overalls, but I had a blue and black striped shirt and matching knee socks which better resembled Dave Thomas' daughter. I looked just like her, even freckled my face with eyeliner and had the red side braids wig. I walked into a Wendy's to order five burgers and they gave me five free ones, just because I'm cool like that.

On day 13 (Saturday) I went to Yoga in the morning then to a farmer's market for some apples and green peppers. The green peppers were on sale for 50 cents/lb! I got like 10 peppers for a dollar. Then I came home and juiced some with carrots/ginger/clementines. I also ate a banana. Then during the afternoon I made more apple/green pepper juice and mixed it with yesterday's batch of the glowing green smoothie. Unlike juice, which can only stay potent in the fridge for a few hours, the glowing green smoothie stays good in the fridge (covered) for up to 2 1/2 days. So I'm going to start making batches that will last 2-3 days, and try to drink at least one small cup each evening because it truly fills me up.

Saturday night I kind of cheated. I went out to a place in my town called Fat Belly's where a local virtuoso guitar player/singer named Mance was playing. My friend ordered a Cosmo. The waitress was awkward. I asked her what was in the sweet potato bisque, and she replied ever so slowly, "Umm... sweet potato.. I think they use onions... and a few other things mixed in..."

So I asked if there were any dairy product used in the bisque (I assumed so, but wanted to make sure), and she just stared blankly at me. It was intense. She was refusing to politely answer my question, even with an I don't know. And she waited me out, as if I might withdraw my question or apologize altogether for asking it. But I stared back at her until she cracked, and she went to ask the cook. When she returned, she confirmed there was cream in the bisque. So I passed on the soup, and asked her if they served a veggie of the day, and she again stared blankly at me for an awkward amount of time.

This woman didn't know I had been juicing, and that I was dead sober and calm, so I eyeballed her back without blinking for more than several seconds, until she replied, "Umm... we don't have like... a veggie of the day... or a separate side of veggies... we don't sell just sides of veggies..." and she refused to put punctuation on her answer, so I waited until she finally averted her gaze to my friend, and my friend politely asked for a few more minutes.

She returned and I tried to redeem my seemingly bitchy self. I'd read a book over the summer called "Skinny Bitch," and there was a warning at the end: Don't be bitchy when you get skinny. So I ordered a veggie wrap, and she offered to hold the cheese, and I said, "Oh yes, thank you," and smiled.

My veggie wrap came with a side salad with dressing on the side. What I did was, I took the veggies out of my veggie wrap and mixed them with the dry side salad and ate it. I discarded the actual bread part of the wrap and the dressing, which my friend actually picked at and enjoyed. But the veggies in the wrap definitely had some oil and salt, so it was a cheat. I enjoyed it very much.

Today on day 14 (Sunday) I had the last of Friday's glowing green smoothie batch for breakfast. I mixed an extra scoop of Boku in and drank it on my way to church, where I also ate a communion wafer and drank a tiny shot glass of white grape juice. It didn't send me running to the bathroom like last week. My stomach handled it just fine.

At 5:00 today, some hunger pangs kicked in and I had a banana. I may splurge and have one more thing tonight. I'm feeling tempted to cheat. I'm hungry man. Today is really testing me. I had three shot glasses of Fire Cider yesterday and will probably have another three tonight. I am hooked on that stuff bad.

The birds have been going nuts today. Black swarms of birds just flying chaotically all over the place. Hurricane Sandy is coming, but she'll mainly hit south of here. I hope all you New Englanders stay safe and dry and get a day or two off work. If you're stuck inside for a couple days and you have small children, try to make time for yourself to do deep breathing exercises and stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment