Translate

Monday, October 22, 2012

Juice Fast Days 6-7

I had an interesting weekend. On Saturday (day 6) I awoke very early to a phone call from my doctor, and he insisted I go back on my Synthroid medication. I agreed, and felt rather stupid as he explained how ridiculous my blood results were. I told him I thought I could cure my thyroid with healthy lifestyle changes. He said bluntly, "Nope. When you're hypothyroid you're hypothyroid." Then he called in my prescription and I picked it up and took a pill.

Afterwards I juiced some apples and carrots for breakfast, went to a yoga class, then to a farmers market, then juiced tomatoes and golden zucchini squash for lunch, and followed up with some raw veggies for dinner. My roommates were having people over for tacos, so I had some of the fixings (shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes), with some of my own blanched broccoli and zucchini, as well as a half avocado and some pickled cabbage.

On Sunday morning I woke up and juiced apples, celery, and a carrot. I went to church and partook of the tiny communion wafer and grape juice, and had to run to the bathroom immediately. After church I found a place selling gas for $3.69/gallon and filled up. Then I drove home and met up with a friend. She wanted to go out and get some seafood. I explained to her I was on a 30 day juice fast. She had a look of disappointment cross her face, and then I felt bad, and said, "Well, this is my seventh day. And it's Sunday. Jesus rested on the Sabbath. Maybe I can take a break from my fast as well."

Just at that moment, several white fluffy clouds parted and the sun blasted me with light. I was blinded. My friend shielded her eyes with her hand and said she couldn't look at me because I was so bright. We started to laugh, and she insisted this was a sign from God that I should indeed take a day of rest from my fast.

That said, we went out to Crazy Burger in Narragansett (a restaurant featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives) and I had a bowl of Vegan sweet potato and corn chowda. I also ordered a grapefruit juice, since they have a juicer there. My friend had a few nips of vodka in her purse and she insistingly poured at least two nips worth of vodka in my grapefruit juice during our meal. Then we shared a calamari appetizer. It was called "calitali" and was dressed with olives, garlic, roasted red peppers, and banana peppers. Although I couldn't taste my soup or grapefruit juice very well, I could taste the calitali. And it was heavenly.

Then I felt so rejuvenated and alive, I drove to Providence to meet up with my friend Fred. We went to a place called "Nice Slice" on Thayer street and I ordered a gluten free vegan pizza with their homemade tomato sauce, vegan cheese, and some garlic, onions, peppers, and basil. I had been there before and wanted Fred to experience what I believe is the yummiest pizza in the world. He didn't care for it and was unimpressed with the sauce. He said it needed garlic, which is strange, since I ordered garlic as a topping, and even with my de-sensitized taste buds, the garlic is about all I could taste. Oh well. Can't please everybody. But I ate three of the four slices, drove Fred home, and then drove back to Wakefield and stopped in to Luk Thai and ordered "Green Tofu Curry with rice four pepper hot as hell." I was so full at the time, I could only eat about five bites before asking for it to be wrapped to-go. I'll give the leftovers to a friend today.

After eating all that food Sunday, I felt physically strained. It was hard to walk. My belly, which had shrunken remarkably during the week, was suddenly dense and protruding, up above my belly button. My gut was actually smaller in circumference than my upper rib cage area. I lay down to sleep at 10:00 and fell asleep immediately, and woke up at 5:30 a.m. feeling like I'd taken a strong pain killer and melted into my bed. I peeled myself up promptly though, packed my juicer and some produce into my car,  showered, then went to work.

After that splurge of eating yesterday, and not being able to taste much, I'm excited to get back into my juicing regimen. I may even become a full-on raw vegan after this 30 day fast ends. Eating isn't very exciting, compared to feeling healthy, light, and energetic. And I don't think I'll take another sabbath rest day. It's not worth it when you can't taste much.

3 comments:

  1. the pizza must have been good but the same thing happened to me when I made a homemade pizza a few weeks ago....my buds are messed up I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really the crust at Nice Slice - it holds together well, isn't soggy or flaky. Just a really good chew involved. You really have to chew at each bite for a while. So the flavor isn't so important to me, though when my tastebuds worked I loved the flavor too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk to a naturopath. You can get off of synthroid, as it really actually does nothing for your thyroid.

    ReplyDelete